Meet Eugene Flinn
Mayor Eugene Flinn is a lifelong resident of Miami-Dade County, graduating from Southwest Miami Senior High and earning BA and JD degrees from the University of Miami. Married to Alexandra Flinn, author of books for young adult readers, they have two daughters: Katherine is a student at University of Florida; and Meredith is a student at Miami Palmetto Senior High. Mayor Flinn is an attorney. His hobbies include fitness training, the arts, bicycling, rafting, and enjoying the outdoors in general. He also enjoys traveling and gardening.
As Palmetto Bay’s first Mayor, Eugene Flinn is proud of the accomplishments of this Village, which include:
- Completion of Florida’s first-ever LEED Platinum certified Municipal Center;
- Obtaining millions in grants and appropriations to create the “Village of Parks;”
- Working to create a small efficient government which he terms “government lite;”
- Saving millions in reserves which all together earned Palmetto Bay an outstanding AA bond rating.
Mayor Flinn also is proud of working with the original Village Council to renovate existing parks and buying new parkland, as well as bringing diverse park amenities including a dog park, softball complex, beach volleyball courts, and a skate park. He is also working hard to purchase and preserve a bay front park (Thalatta Estate). Other activities include Earth Week programming and promoting ongoing family movie nights in the parks.
Honors & Past Service
Mayor Eugene Flinn is one of the founders of Palmetto Bay as well as serving as the founding Mayor between 2002 and 2010. In recognition of his service, Mayor Flinn has received the Steven J. Cranman Professional Public Service Award for exemplifying a superior level of commitment to the community by Chamber South; and the South Dade Leadership Award by The Rotary Club of Perrine-Cutler Ridge/Palmetto Bay. He has also served on numerous PTSAs and other community organizations.
- Palmetto Bay Business Association
- Palmetto Bay Garden Club
- South Dade YMCA
- PTSAs, Coral Reef Elementary, Southwood Middle, Coral Reef Senior and Miami Palmetto Senior High Schools.
- South Dade Municipal Coalition, Chamber South
- Junior Orange Bowl Committee, including service on the Board of Directors as well as a past chair of the International Junior Golf Tournament
- Chair, Palmetto Bay Incorporation Steering Committee
- Chair Palmetto Bay Municipal Advisor Committee.